James S. Bailey, Director, General Counsel
Jim was born and raised in Denver, Colorado. He graduated from the University of Colorado with a degree in Economics in 1988. He attended the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law and graduated in 1992. He was elected to Order of the Coif and was honored as the Valedictorian of his graduating class. Jim was voted the Outstanding Graduating Senior Award for 1992.
In addition to receiving the Valedictorian Award for McGeorge School of Law, 1992, Jim has received many merit awards, including the Amicus Lex, the One L, the Academic Achievement Scholarship and the Trainor, Robinson, Smits & Wade Real Property Award. Jim also received the West Publishing Company Award for 1990-1991, as well as the American Jurisprudence Awards for Bankruptcy, Business Associations, Civil Procedure, Contracts, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Real Property, Remedies, Sales, Torts, and Legal Research and Writing.
After graduation, Jim was selected to serve as a Law Clerk for the Honorable Luis D. Rovira, Chief Justice of the Colorado Supreme Court.
Jim has written a number of articles on legal issues. He was Editor in Chief, Pacific Law Journal and published “Allocation of Loss for Forged Checks Under Articles 3 and 4 of the Proposed Revisions Thereto,” and co-authored, Comment SB-2638 Review of Selected California Legislation. He was also a Legislative Review Writer, Volume 21, Pacific Law Journal and co-author of the Colorado Continuing Legal Education publication on Marital Agreements.
Jim graduated from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy and is now a member of the faculty of that distinguished organization. Jim is also a member of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and the Faculty of Federal Advocates. Jim is a member of the Legislative Committee, Family Law Section and Probate Section of the Colorado Bar Association.
Jim’s practice concentrates on litigation, with an emphasis in family law and commercial matters. In addition, Jim has a substantial appellate practice.
Jim’s family includes identical triplet boys and their younger brother. Since their birth, Jim has no free time. If he did, Jim would spend his free time enjoying the outdoors. He was an avid fly-fisherman, mountaineer and photographer.
- University of Colorado (1988)
- J.D. University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (1992)
- In re Marriage of DeKoning, 2014 WL43646 (Colo. App. 2014), cert. granted, (2014).
- In re Estate of Schumacher, 253 P.3d 1289 (Colo. App. 2011)
- Sooper Credit Union v. Sholar Group Architects, P.C., 113 P.3d 768 (Colo. 2005)
- In re Marriage of Yates, 148 P.3d 304 (Colo. App. 2006)
- In re Marriage of Chalat, 112 P.3d 47 (Colo. 2005)
- In re C.G.G., 946 P.2d 603 (Colo. App. 1997)
- Yates v. Arkin, 242 Fed. Appx. 478, 2007 WL 1475268 (NSOP 10th Cir. 2007)
- In re Marriage of Gedgaudas, 978 P.2d 677 (Colo. App. 1999)
- Editor in Chief, Pacific Law Journal, Volume 23 (1991-92).
- The Use of Experts in Domestic Cases, Practitioner’s Guide to Colorado Domestic Relations Law (2013 – present)
- Co-Author with S. Epstein, Marital Agreements, Colorado Continuing Legal Education.
- Co-Author: Evaluation and Investigation Issues Concerning Parental Abduction, CPA Journal 2010.
- Author: Allocation of Loss for Forged Checks Under Articles 3 and 4 of the Proposed Revisions Thereto, 22 Pac. L.J. 1263, 1991.
- Co-Author with S. Dhaunda, Comment SB-2638 Review of Selected California Legislation, 22 Pac. L.J., 726, 1991.
- Legislative Review Writer, Volume 21, Pacific Law Journal, 1991.
- Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, Instructor – July 2014
- Best Practices of Client Communications – May 2014
- Faculty – 2014 Rocky Mountain Regional Program, NITA – April 2014
- The New Uniform Marital and Premarital Agreement Act – Feb. 2014
- Ten Things You Need to Know About the Premarital and Marital Agreement Act – 2013
- The Use of Receivers in Domestic Actions – 2013
- Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, a Joint Project of the American Bar Association Section of Family Law and the National Institute for Trial Advocacy – 2013
- Faculty – 2013 Rocky Mountain Regional Program, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Unintended Consequences: Interpretation and Enforcement Issues in Marital Agreements – 2012
- Faculty – 2012 Rocky Mountain Regional Program, National Institute for Trial Advocacy
- Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, a Joint Project of the American Bar Association Section of Family Law and the National Institute for Trial Advocacy – 2012
- Using Private Investigators: Legal and Ethical Constraints.
- Family Law Trial Advocacy Institute, a Joint Project of the American Bar Association Section of Family Law and the National Institute for Trial Advocacy.
- Clients can be Dangerous: Best Practices – Trinidad, Colorado.
- Clients can be Dangerous: Best Practices – Boulder Bar Association.
- Supervised Visitation and Abduction Risk – Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Supervised Visitation Network Annual Conference, Supervision Risk Associated with Parental Abduction.
- Supervised Visitation Network Conference, Jury [De]-Selection
- Rocky Mountain Regional Program Conference, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Presentation to House Judicial Committee Concerning House Bill 1097.
- House Judicial Committee, Colorado General Assembly, Presentation Concerning House Bill 1135.
- House Judicial Committee, Colorado General Assembly, Legislative Review.
- Family Law Section, Colorado Bar Association, Co-Presentation: Disclosure under Rule 16.2: A Misguided New World.
- Family Law Section Luncheon, The Ethics of Clients: Best Practices.
- Colorado Springs Solo/Small Firm Conference, Clients Can Be Dangerous: Practical Advice.
- Boulder Bar Association, Trial Advocacy.
- Rocky Mountain Regional Program Conference, April Regional Program, Ethics.
- American Immigration Association Conference, Trial Skills: Litigation Advocacy.
- October National Institute for Trial Advocacy: Legal Service Program, An Attorney’s Perspective: Deterring and Preventing Family Abductions – Metropolitan Denver Interdisciplinary Committee (MDIC), Legislative Update.
- Colorado Bar Association, Family Law Section, Legislative Update, Trial Skills: Trial Advocacy – 2009 April Rocky Mountain Regional Program.
Membership - Professional Associations
- Colorado Bar Association, Faculty of Federal Advocates, Member
- Family Law Section, Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Legislative Committee, Family Law Section, Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Ethics Committee, Colorado Bar Association, Member
- Probate Section, Colorado Bar Association, Denver Bar Association, Member
- Denver Law Club, Member
- University Club
- Cubmaster, Pack 742, Boys Scouts of America
- Secretary, Ken Caryl Little League
1700 Lincoln Street, Suite 4300
Denver CO 80203
Phone: (303) 298-1122
Fax: (303) 296-9101