E. Michael Canges, Of Counsel
Michael was born and was raised in Denver, Colorado. Following his military service, he received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Denver. After receiving his juris doctor from the University of Denver, Michael entered private practice.
Throughout his legal career, Michael has been active in the legal community. He served on the Committee on Conduct, United States District Court, Colorado Supreme Court Attorney Regulation Committee, Civil Justice Committee of the Colorado Supreme Court, and a host of other professional and educational bodies. Michael is listed in the Best Lawyers of America (all editions) and SuperLawyers® (all editions) and has long held the highest AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell. Michael served as the first Colorado Special Assistant Public Defender. Michael was inducted in the American Board of Trial Advocacy in 1990.
He has always been active in Continuing Legal Education and is a frequent speaker and lecturer at seminars and teaching events. He was a Lecturer at Law, University of Denver College of Law, and has served as a faculty member for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy since 1985. Michael has authored numerous articles and papers and frequently presents outlines/papers in conjunction with seminar presentations in civil litigation, domestic relations, criminal law, legal ethics and malpractice prevention for the Colorado Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, National Center for Continuing Legal Education, and SMH Colorado Bar Review.
Michael is a member of the Denver and Colorado Bar Associations, the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Colorado Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (founding member), Doyle’s Inn of Court (founding member), the National Judicature Society and the Faculty of Federal Advocates, among others.
In his leisure time, Michael enjoys running, cooking, traveling, reading and music.
- University of Denver
- J.D. University of Denver
- Author: Computer Inspection- Whoops! (The Colorado Lawyer); When Things go Awry- Whoops! (The Colorado Lawyer); “Outstanding Lawyers in Colorado History, Irving P. Andrews” – The Colorado Lawyer, July 2009.
- “Outstanding Lawyers in Colorado History, Irving P. Andrews” – The Colorado Lawyer, July.
- “Disengagement” – The Colorado Lawyer, May.
- “When the Attorney-Client Relationship Breaks Down” – The Colorado Lawyer, July.
- “Privacy in Judicial Proceedings” (publication pending); Arbitration Clauses in Fee Agreements: to be or not to be, that is the Question. Whoops!
- “Disqualification of Judges” – The Colorado Lawyer, January.
- “5th Amendment & Civil Litigation” – The Colorado Lawyer, February.
- Colorado Bar Association Family Law Institute, August 11.
- Communication in the Age of Complexity: Evidence and Discovery Issues; Program Chair: CLE/CJI Seminar−The Art and Science of Persuasion in the Courtroom, February 6.
- Boulder County Bar Association, Ethics Update and Malpractice Prevention – CLE -December 17.
- Program Chair: CLE/CJI Seminar−Best and Worst Trial Tactics, February 29.
- Risk Prevention, Tort Law Update−CLE, January 25.
- Colorado Bar Association Annual Conference, Family Law Section, August 4.
- Ethics: Minimizing the Risk of Grievances and Claims – Spring Seminar – Family Law: Advanced Practice.
- Preventing Legal Malpractice in Colorado – CLE in Colorado, Inc. – January 29.
- Legal Malpractice – 9th Annual Ethics Seminar – CLE in Colorado, Inc. December 6.
- Boulder County Bar Association Ethics Update and Malpractice Prevention – CLE – December 10.
- Preventing Legal Malpractice – CLE in Colorado, Inc. – January
- Call your Carrier! Obtaining the Proper Malpractice Coverage – CLE in Colorado, Inc. – Breckenridge Solo Small Firm Conference – September 27.
- Legal Fee Agreements – Colorado Bar Association Tuesdays at the Bar -February 12.
- Preventing Legal Malpractice – CLE in Colorado, Inc. – January 26
1700 Lincoln Street, Suite 4300
Denver CO 80203
Phone: (303) 298-1122
Fax: (303) 296-9101